Forcing markup to be IN the staff

From: aliteralmind
Subject: Forcing markup to be IN the staff
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 08:51:48 -0800 (PST)

I have repetitive notes:

c8 c c   c c c   c c c   c c c |

This type of repetition is found throughout my piece. I'm trying to hide the
second-through-fourth beats of notes, and have a "..." in its place, IN the
staff. No matter how much I \raise the markup, it never enters the staff.
How can I force this collision?

Here is an image describing what I want and am actually getting (I also
can't quite position the lyrics and "repeat throught" text as tightly as I
want):

http://jeffyepstein.com/tmp/staff_collision_question.gif

And following is the LY code that created the bottom version.

Thank you for helping.

global = {
        \key c \major
        \time 12/8
}

rptDDD = \markup { \fontsize #6 "..." }
rptDDDInStaff = \markup {
        \column {
                \raise #2.5 \rptDDD
                \small \italic "Repeat throughout measure"
rptDDDForLyrics = \markup { \raise #0.3 \rptDDD }

mainMusic = \relative c''  {
        c4. c c c |
}
mainWords = \lyricmode { Da da da da }
secondaryMusic = \relative c  {
        \clef bass
        c8 c c
        \hideNotes
                c_\rptDDDInStaff
                c c  c c c  c c c
        \unHideNotes

}
secondaryWords = \lyricmode  {
        doo doo doo \rptDDDForLyrics
}

\score {
        \new ChoirStaff <<
                \new Staff = staffMain <<
                        \new Voice = "vMain" {
                                \voiceTwo
                                << \global \mainMusic >>
                        }
                        \new Lyrics = "mainLyrics" { s1 }

                \new Staff = staffSecondary <<
                        \new Voice = "vSecondary" {
                                \voiceOne
                                << \global \secondaryMusic >>
                        }
                        %s1 is a placeholder, until soloWords is assigned to it
                        \new Lyrics = "secondaryLyrics" { s1 }

                \context Lyrics = mainLyrics \lyricsto vMain \mainWords
                \context Lyrics = secondaryLyrics \lyricsto vSecondary
\secondaryWords

        \layout {}
        \midi {}