Re: Fwd: emacs lilypond-mode and the midi command

From: Daniel Hulme
Subject: Re: Fwd: emacs lilypond-mode and the midi command
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 11:08:05 +0000

On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 04:44:41PM -0600, Tim McNamara wrote:
> Addendum:  I was able to replicate this bheavior in Bash under Terminal.
> The problem appears to be how Bash handles spaces in filenames.  Weird,
> in this day and age you'd think that shells would be intelligent enough
> to cope with this.
Guessing whether something is a filename or not is a really bad idea,
and can lead to very surprising behaviour. The accepted behaviour - that
spaces separate command-line arguments except when escaped or when the
whole argument is enclosed in quotes - is simple, consistent, and offers
few opportunities to accidentally delete all your files.

> There is a new revision of Bash out in the past few weeks, which
> perhaps gets around this.
I strongly doubt it. Any change like that would break backcompat and
startle all of its users.

> If double quotes are put around the path, that seems to properly escape
> them, although even this was flakey on my Mac:
That's not enough. What if your path has double quotes in it? Or
backslashes? Anything that generates shell commands always needs to
fully escape the arguments.

"The  rules  of  programming  are  transitory;  only  Tao  is  eternal.
Therefore you  must contemplate Tao before you receive  enlightenment."
"How will I know when I have received enlightenment?"  asked the novice.
"Your program will then run correctly," replied the master.