Re: Fwd: emacs lilypond-mode and the midi command

From: Daniel Hulme
Subject: Re: Fwd: emacs lilypond-mode and the midi command
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 11:08:05 +0000

On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 04:44:41PM -0600, Tim McNamara wrote:
> Addendum:  I was able to replicate this bheavior in Bash under Terminal.
> The problem appears to be how Bash handles spaces in filenames.  Weird,
> in this day and age you'd think that shells would be intelligent enough
> to cope with this.
Guessing whether something is a filename or not is a really bad idea,
and can lead to very surprising behaviour. The accepted behaviour - that
spaces separate command-line arguments except when escaped or when the
whole argument is enclosed in quotes - is simple, consistent, and offers
few opportunities to accidentally delete all your files.

> There is a new revision of Bash out in the past few weeks, which
> perhaps gets around this.
I strongly doubt it. Any change like that would break backcompat and
startle all of its users.

[snip]
> If double quotes are put around the path, that seems to properly escape
> them, although even this was flakey on my Mac:
That's not enough. What if your path has double quotes in it? Or
backslashes? Anything that generates shell commands always needs to
fully escape the arguments.

--
"The  rules  of  programming  are  transitory;  only  Tao  is  eternal.
Therefore you  must contemplate Tao before you receive  enlightenment."