Re: emacs lilypond-mode and the midi command

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: emacs lilypond-mode and the midi command
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 11:58:42 +0000

In message <address@hidden>, James E. Bailey <address@hidden> writes

On 07.03.2009, at 17:20, Tim McNamara wrote:

On Mar 7, 2009, at 4:05 AM, James E. Bailey wrote:

On OSX, the lilypond mode for emacs doesn't properly escape filenames. open -a 'Mighty MIDI' /Users/jamesebailey/Documents/James Music/ Choral Music/Windhauch/Windhauch.midi 2009-03-07 10:59:31.767 open[465] No such file: /Users/ jamesebailey/Documents/James

I'm having trouble making sense of what you are trying to do with this command and from where you are trying to do it.
Sorry, I'm trying to use the midi command in lilypond mode from within emacs. Since I'm on a macintosh, I change the timidity -ia and timidity in the lilypond.mode.el file to be open -a 'Mighty MIDI'. It works for opening the pdfs from within emacs. I use the emacs shortcut to view the pdf and it opens. I've changed the default xpdf to open -a 'Skim' and everything works perfectly.

That open command looks incorrectly stated for Emacs on two fronts. Are you typing this command in somewhere (Emacs or the shell) or is this command being generated inside Emacs from one of the lilypond-mode menus?
As previously stated, I'm typing this in the lilypond-mode.el file.

First, Emacs doesn't use an "open" command to open files, it uses the sequence Control-x Control-f (C-x C-f [and note the case]). If lilypond-mode is generating that command, it seems guaranteed to fail.
it works for the pdfs

Are you *sure* it's exactly the same syntax?

Note that your pathname is *un*quoted and *contains* *a* *space*. This is GUARANTEED to fail if typed at the command line.

Not knowing MacOS, I can't tell you what's the correct way to quote it, but I'd try putting a backslash before the space.

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden