Re: Real-world usage of Lilypond

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Real-world usage of Lilypond
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 23:46:14 -0500

On Apr 8, 2009, at 9:27 PM, Wei-Wei Guo wrote:

Hi Kieren,

Thanks. I think maybe I know how to do now. I've been looking into the link several times, but never gotten any sense. My problem might be too unfamiliar
with Lilypond.

PS. Why doesn's Lilypond provide a easy-to-use mechanism for inputing music elements, like E major key signature or quaver. It will make Lilypond not only a powerful tool for engraving music script, but also a tool for textbook.

Many of these things are very easy to input once you've learned the LilyPond syntax (which looks awfully similar to TeX to my eyes). The learning curve is steep but that means you get up to doing useful things quickly.

For key signatures:

melody = \relative c' {
\override Staff.TimeSignature #'style = #'()
\time 4/4
\clef treble
\key e \major

e4 fis4 gis4 a4 b4 cis4 dis4 e1  }

Setting the key signature could not be much easier, once you know how. As for "quaver," do you mean the British system (quaver, semi- quaver, demisemiquaver, etc. and which Americans call 8th, 16th or 32nd notes) or do you mean a "trill?" In the case of the former, c8 would be a C quaver; a trill on the note C would be denoted in several different ways of your choice. The use of \trill is one such way.