Lilypond is amazing! (engraving Reubke)

From: Wilbert Berendsen
Subject: Lilypond is amazing! (engraving Reubke)
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 23:06:28 +0200

Hi,

Just to learn LilyPond better I've engraved the splendid Organ Sonata "Der
94ste Psalm" by Julius Reubke (1834-1858) with LilyPond 2.13.1.
The result can be seen here [1]. The 28-page score is based on the IMSLP score
(first edition 1871) of this piece.

The .ly files live in the lilymusic googlecode repository [2], a repo which
I'm btw happy to share with anybody wanting to write good LilyPond scores (of
public domain or otherwise Free music) under free licenes and svn version
control.

I discovered many niceties, e.g. when you use named contexts everywhere, you
are always able to add things like markups and even accents etc. later from
outside the main music definitions. This helps to separate the music and
notes/remarks etc. I use a Devnull context containing some line breaks. The
system-count and max-systems-per-page settings helped me well to get the score
on the right number of pages.

Also a few lil' bugs I'll try to isolate, like cross-staff slurs sometimes
behave strange, esp. when there are also markups below or above. Forcing or
forbidding line breaks works around that kind of problems. And sometimes
autobeamed notes have too long stems just before/after staff changes (already
in issue tracker). And LilyPond uses more than 600MB main memory during
engraving which almost puts my 512M laptop to a grinding halt. I bought a new
computer with 4gig main ram just to use LilyPond for my Reubke score! :-)

[1] http://www.wilbertberendsen.nl/reubke/psalm94
[2] http://code.google.com/p/lilymusic/ and
http://code.google.com/p/lilymusic/source/browse/#svn/trunk/reubke/psalm94

best regards,