Re: Newbie Question -- verse and chorus

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Newbie Question -- verse and chorus
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 23:15:03 +0800

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 11:59:12AM +0100, Tim Rowe wrote:
> In the case of every question I have asked, I have not only scoured
> the manuals -- not just the learning manual -- but also searched the
> snippets repository and the web in general for anything that might
> give me a clue.

Did you, or did you not, write:

> That looks like what I need, but I don't quite understand it --
> probably because I don't properly understand contexts -- the in
> documentation, all the index entries for contexts take me to
> sections that assume I already know what they are and just want
> to adjust them."

?

Now, if you had written "I don't understand the second paragraph
of LM 3.3.1 Contexts explained", then I'd be happy.  We could
discuss why that documentation didn't work for you, how we could
rewrite the docs to explain it better, etc.

But instead, you had this vague "I don't understand stuff", which
tells me that you haven't sat down to read the Learning Manual.

> Each question has only been asked after *hours* of searching. In
> the case of every question I have asked, somebody has just told
> me to "read the manuals" as if I were some sort of idiot. I have
> to say that I find the manuals very poor -- they assume a lot of
> prior knowledge,

The Learning Manual does ***NOT*** require any prior knowledge.
If you find **any** lilypond material in the LM which does not
follow from previous material, this is a bug.
(we do not explain musical terminology, although we try to add
links to the music glossary for non-English or amateur musicians)

2.12 or 2.13 documentation.  Start reading.  As soon as you find
a part that assumes prior knowledge, TELL US and we will fix it.

Now, the NR assumes that you've already read -- and UNDERSTOOD --
the LM.  If we didn't do that, the NR could easily be five times
as long as it is already.

> I'm very disappointed in the attitude of some members of this group,
> who seem to want Lilypond to be a private club and don't want the
> inconvenience of new members.

Some members of this group have spent over 3000 hours -- yes,
three thousand hours, that's not a typo -- working on the
documentation, precisely for the benefit of new members.  Yes,
that clearly demonstrates that we hate newbies.

- Graham