Re: Newbie Question -- verse and chorus

From: Tim Rowe
Subject: Re: Newbie Question -- verse and chorus
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 00:00:39 +0100

2009/5/11 Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden>:

> Here, I would rather say
> \new Staff {
>  \autoBeamOff \new Voice = "mel" { \chorus }  \new Voice = "vs" {\verse} }

That is clearer, yes. I'm still a bit shaky about when I can cascade
things in sequence and when I can't. The rule so far seems to be that
when I try it it doesn't work and when others do it it works fine! But
I'll get there...

> If you use \partial 8, it is equivalent to using
> \set Score.measurePosition = #(ly:make-moment -1 8)
>
> If you instead insert
> \set Score.measurePosition = #(ly:make-moment 7 8)
> (assuming that the piece is in 4/4), the incomplete bar shouldn't be counted
> as a separate bar but as part of the existing bar.

And since I have \partial 4, I need
\set Score.measurePosition = #(ly:make-moment 3 4)

Excellent, thanks. At the moment ly:make-moment looks a bit esoteric
-- is it reasonable for a beginner to treat that as magic, or is it
something I should know about sooner rather than later?

--
Tim Rowe