Re: writing chords

From: Tim Rowe
Subject: Re: writing chords
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 20:51:38 +0100

2009/5/12 James E. Bailey <address@hidden>:
> I will be the first one to admit that I don't work with chords frequently.
> I'm also trying to understand them. I understand that I can enter c:7 and
> lilypond will recognise that I want to display c7, and display it
> accordingly. Since I wanted to make some changes to some of the defaults, I
> decided to make a little list of all the chords, and what is typed in order
> to get lilypond to display them. I've run into some chords that I don't know
> how to name properly, so I thought I would ask for help. I would like I know
> what I need to type in order to get these chords.

If you try:
\score {
<<
   \chords {
      c:13
      \break
      c:13-9-7
      \break
      c:9-7-13
      \break
      c:7+13
      \break
      c:11+7-
      \break
      c:4
      \break
      c:7-4
      \break
      c:94
      \break
      c:m4
   }

   \new Staff \chordmode
   {
      c:13
      c:13-9-7
      c:9-7-13
      c:7+13
      c:11+7-
      c:4
      c:7-4
      c:94

      c:m4

then you'll see what you actually have. Which isn't always what you want!

I think a couple of things have caught you out. In a 7th chord, the
7th is flattened by default, and in a 13th the 11th is omitted because
it doesn't sound so good.

I can get them all except for the last; when I try to remove the 9th
(c:m11^7^9) lilypond gets stuck :-(

I'm also puzzled that lilypond gives the name of one of them as just
C7, even though the 3rd is clearly augmented.

Still, here's what I've got. The first staff is what you've got, the
second is what you asked for. I've not bothered trying to fix
collisions or enharmonic spellings.

\version "2.12.2"
\paper { indent = #0 }
\layout {\context {\Score \remove Bar_number_engraver} }
        desired = {
        <<c1 e g bes d' f' a'>>
        <<c e g bes des' f' as'>>
        <<c e g bes des' f' a'>>