Re: writing chords

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: writing chords
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 18:10:38 -0600

On 5/12/09 1:51 PM, "Tim Rowe" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I can get them all except for the last; when I try to remove the 9th
> (c:m11^7^9) lilypond gets stuck :-(

If you read the notation reference carefully, you'll see that only the
*first* pitch to be removed is preceded by ^. (6 examples in under Extended
and Altered Chords).

What would have worked is

c:m11^7.9

> I'm also puzzled that lilypond gives the name of one of them as just
> C7, even though the 3rd is clearly augmented.

The automatic chord namer for LilyPond is not good on altered and extended
chords.  Hopefully I'll get to it this summer.  In the meantime, you can fix
it by adding your own chord name exceptions.  It's a bit cumbersome for a
workaround, but it takes care of everything except bass notes, I think.

BTW, Tim, thanks for jumping in to offer help.  Unfortunately, relatively
few who ask for help end up offering it.  We appreciate having you around.

Carl