Aligning a "D.S. al Fine" at the end of a piece.

From: Tim Rowe
Subject: Aligning a "D.S. al Fine" at the end of a piece.
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 14:39:38 +0100

Ok, if I end my piece with
  c'4^\markup {D.S. al Fine} \bar "|."
then the D.S. al Fine stretches to the right, beyiond the end of the
stave. Ok, that's because markup is left-aligned by default. So
perhaps what I want is:
  ^\markup {\right-align {D.S. al Fine}} \bar "|."
No, that squashes the words up to fit over the note, and they all end
up superimposed.

I suppose I could find a note that's about the right distance from the
end, and attach the markup to that, but that seems to be trying to
defeat lilypond rather than letting it do the engraving nicely.

The problem seems to be that I'm aligning to notes, whereas the "D.S.
al Fine" should be aligned to the bar.  Is that possible? If not, is
there a prettier way than just attaching it to an earlier note?

Thanks in advance.

--
Tim Rowe