Re: (Retry) LilyPond ignoring \break... what did I do wrong?

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: (Retry) LilyPond ignoring \break... what did I do wrong?
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 19:30:17 -0500

Tim McNamara wrote:
Apologies if this is a duplicate, it did not seem to get relayed through the server the first time I sent it.

I'm doing an arrangement of a song for a jazz ensemble. I am finding that LilyPond is ignoring one of the manual line breaks (after bar 12- I like four bars per line for consistency and readability and I am getting two lines of two bars) and I can't figure out what I've messed up. I'm sure it's something simple and I'll say "duh" when it's pointed out, but I'm flummoxed right at the moment. The time counts in those bars in \harmonies and \melody seem to be correct and LilyPond offers no error message about it (e.g. that the break was overridden). The way my template is laid out, I have the chords and melody in separate blocks and then they are assembled in the \score block.

Looking again I see that LilyPond isn't ignoring a \break, it is inserting an extra line break after bar 10 which I don't want. I suppose this can be suppressed somehow but adding a \noBreak produces even stranger results- three bars on one line and one looooong bar on the next.

Hi Tim,

There's a snippet in the Notation Reference that may be able to help you. Look in section 4.4.3 at the example just below where it says "To understand how each of these different settings work, we begin by looking at an example that includes no overrides at all." It uses an extra voice with nothing but

  s1*5 \break s1*5 \break

and so forth, making the systems break after every fifth bar. Maybe this approach will do what you want.

Jon

--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com