Re: transposing etc

From: Bill Mooney
Subject: Re: transposing etc
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 13:30:22 +1200

Dear Peter, and Chip and Jonathan,
Your comments have provided great guidance for this occasional user! :)

My question about transposing did indeed relate to the usage of transposing an entire piece, after it had been encoded earlier - perhaps obtained from another source altogether. The process seems to me to be not entirely straightforward - the more complex the piece is the seemingly more difficult it might be to affect the transposition. Probably I have to do a fair bit of testing with more and more complex scores to see what works in each case.

Workflow is idiosyncratic! :) What works for one might be quite unintuitive for another - at least it's good to know that "this is the best way" doesn't hold good!

I have attached a simple example based on the SATB template to show what I've done with transposing, and how I tend to manage my workflow.

Regards
Bill
\version "2.12.0"
\header
{
dedication = "Dedication"
title = "Incy Wincy Spider"
subtitle = "subtitle"
subsubtitle = " sub-sub title "
composer = "anon"
copyright = "2008"
poet = " poet et al "
meter = " meter "
opus = " opus number "
arranger = " arranger "
instrument = " instrument "
piece = " piece "
tagline = "tagline"

 }

\paper
{
#(set-paper-size "a4" )
%#(set-paper-size "a3" )
line-width = 165\mm % paper-width = 297\mm
%line-width = 290\mm % paper-height = 410\mm
left-margin = 25\mm
page-top-space  =  5\mm
between-system-space = 20\mm
between-system-padding = #8
ragged-bottom = ##t
ragged-last-bottom = ##f
 }

#(set-global-staff-size 18) % the default is 20. 18 allows more music per page

global =

{
%\key c \major %{ uncommenting this line and removing the \key from the '
sopMusic ' seems to give 'different' results }%
\override Staff.TimeSignature #'style = #'()
\time 3/8
}

sopMusic = \relative c' {
\key c \major
c4 b8
c4 d8
e4.
e4 e8
d4 c8
d4 e8
c4.
%r4.
b'4.\rest
e,4.
e4 f8
g4.
g4.
f4 e8
f4 g8
e4.
%r4.
b'4.\rest
g4.
g4 g8
f4.
f4.
e4 d8
d4 f8
g4.

g4.
c,4 b8
c4 d8
e4.
e4 e8
d4 c8
d4 e8
c4.
}

sopWords = \lyricmode {
In -- cy win -- cy spi -- der climbed up the wat -- er spout.
Down came the rain and washed poor In -- cy out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain, so
In -- cy win -- cy spi -- der climbed up the spout a -- gain
}
%altoMusic = \relative c'' {  }
%altoWords =\lyricmode {  }
%tenorMusic = \relative c' {  }
%tenorWords = \lyricmode {  }
%bassMusic = \relative c' {  }
%bassWords = \lyricmode {  }

\score {
  <<
    \new ChoirStaff <<
      \new Lyrics = sopranos { s1 }
      \new Staff = women <<
        \new Voice = sopranos { \voiceOne << \global  \transpose c' c' {
\sopMusic  } >> }
       % \new Voice = altos { \voiceTwo << \global \altoMusic >> }

      %\new Lyrics = altos { s1 }
      %\new Lyrics = tenors { s1 }
      %\new Staff = men <<
       % \clef bass
       % \new Voice = tenors { \voiceOne <<\global \tenorMusic >> }
       % \new Voice = basses { \voiceTwo <<\global \bassMusic >> }

      %\new Lyrics = basses { s1 }
      \context Lyrics = sopranos \lyricsto sopranos \sopWords
      %\context Lyrics = altos \lyricsto altos \altoWords
     % \context Lyrics = tenors \lyricsto tenors \tenorWords
     % \context Lyrics = basses \lyricsto basses \bassWords

   % \new PianoStaff <<
   %   \new Staff <<
   %     \set Staff.printPartCombineTexts = ##f
   %     \partcombine
   %     << \global \sopMusic >>
   % << \global \altoMusic >>
   %  >>
   %   \new Staff <<
   %     \clef bass
   %    \set Staff.printPartCombineTexts = ##f
   %    \partcombine
   %    << \global \tenorMusic >>
   %    << \global \bassMusic >>
   %  >>
   %>>
 % >>
  \layout {

    \context {
      % a little smaller so lyrics
      % can be closer to the staff
      \Staff
      \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(-1 . 1)