Re: Line lengths in NR [was Petrucci-like spacing?]

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Line lengths in NR [was Petrucci-like spacing?]
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 11:41:17 +0100

Patrick McCarty wrote Tuesday, May 26, 2009 8:24 AM

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 07:51:22AM +0100, Trevor Daniels wrote:

Patrick McCarty wrote Monday, May 25, 2009 11:43 PM

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 03:26:42PM -0700, Patrick McCarty wrote:
On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Trevor Daniels
<address@hidden> wrote:
> The lines in the html version of this section of the
> Notation Reference are significantly longer than any
> other, so long I have to scroll horizontally to read them.
> Does anyone else see this, or is it some subtle problem
> with IE?

IIRC, if the line lengths for any <pre> section are too wide, IE recalculates the width of the div to accomodate the longest line on
the page.  Other browsers don't behave this way (as far as I

I suspect the snippet "Non-default tuplet numbers" in the Tuplets
section is the culprit.  If the values of #'text are moved to
lines, that should solve the problem.

And here is a patch.

Many thanks, I'm sure your analysis is correct. But like Carl I find the patch doesn't apply, although I didn't see his particular problems. (Your patch also has 4 lines with trailing white-space, but that's not the problem.) Do you want to try again, or should I or Carl simply fix
it ourselves now you've identified the cause?

Hmm, I can't figure this out.

I just applied my original patch to master (cleanly), and checked the
snippet (both in input/new and input/lsr) for trailing whitespace.
There was only one line with trailing whitespace. Before applying the
patch, the two files still only containing one line with trailing

However, the *patch* contained trailing whitespace on some of the
empty lines as well, but it still applied cleanly for me.

Maybe this is a bug in "git format-patch" in my installed git verson ( It seems odd that "git format-patch" would add trailing

I created a fresh patch and manually removed all of the trailing
whitespace from it, except for the one in the texidoc which I fixed.
Let me know if this one works.

'Fraid it doesn't. This one fails with "fatal: corrupt patch at line 11".
This is the usual effect of editing a patch file manually.

I've looked again more closely at your original patch.  The reason
it fails to apply is that line 45 in the existing version of
/input/lsr/ has no trailing space (actually it's just a single blank line), but your patch attempts to match it with
a line containing a single space.  The same is true of line 13 in
/input/new/  There may be more; I
think git am reports just the first one in each file.

When I edit files from git I make sure there are no trailing spaces
by setting my editor to remove them automatically.