Re: going to the next level

From: Daniel Hulme
Subject: Re: going to the next level
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 14:11:31 +0100

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 01:15:35PM +0200, Valentin Villenave wrote:
> 2009/5/27 Daniel Hulme <address@hidden>:
>
> > Now to anticipate questions people are likely to ask in reply. I don't
> > think there was any one part of the documentation that made me feel more
> > confident about it: it was more a coming-together of the things I'd
> > already learned. 'NR 6.3 Building complicated functions' was something I
> > referred to a lot, and the command index. One slightly hard thing was
> > that to find the page on options I can give to spanners I had to follow
> > the chain 1.8 Text -> 1.8.1 Writing text -> Text spanners -> 5.4.7 Line
> > styles -> 5.4.5 Spanners. The 'Text spanners' section just links to
> > TextSpanner in the IR, which was much less useful to me; it would be
> > great if it linked to 5.4.5 directly, and I will write a patch to that
> > effect unless someone beats me to it.
>
> Well, it hadn't occurred to me to put such a link here, since the
> Spanners per se are merely lines more than text... What kind of
> options are you referring to? I can't really see how we could link
> from 1.8.1.3 to 5.4.5 without going through 5.4.7...

Well, it didn't occur to me to look for spanners under 'Useful concepts
and properties'. I remembered seeing text spanners in the Text section,
so I found it there. I knew I wanted something a bit like the canonical
example "rit . . . ", so I did it and then looked for how to change the
appearance of it. This took me to the 'Line styles' link next, but I
wanted to change the position of the line more than its dottedness, so I
followed the only link on that page. The settings I actually ended up
changing were 'text', 'stencil-align-dir-y', and 'to-barline'.

To my mind, 5.4.5 is more general, telling me about all the settings I
can change on the spanner, whereas 5.4.7 just tells me about the values
I can set one setting to. I'd prefer having 5.4.5 in the See also,
before 5.4.7, and then 5.4.5 discussing the 'style property and linking
to 5.4.7.

--
"And I see losing love is like a  window in your heart:  everybody sees
you're  blown  apart;  everybody  sees  the  wind  blow  in Graceland."