Re: rest at beginning of music breaks vocalName

From: Wilbert Berendsen
Subject: Re: rest at beginning of music breaks vocalName
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 10:10:18 +0200

Op donderdag 28 mei 2009, schreef Tom Dickson:
> In the attached example, the "music" begins with a rest (r8) - and
> vocalName and shortVocalName don't print on the first line, but do on
> subsequent lines.
> Any ideas how to get around this?

I found an even better solution. Put the vocalName definition in the \with {}
block for the Lyrics context:

        \new Lyrics \with {
          vocalName = "1."
          \override InstrumentName #'font-series = #'bold

        } \lyricsto sopranos \verseOne

you could also put the shortVocalName definition there. The preceding \set
command is not needed in \with blocks.

LilyPond probably does not print the vocalName if defined using \set inside
the lyrics input, because the context is created at the start of the score,
and only when there are notes, the lyric input is processed. And at that
moment the \set vocalName command is encountered. But is has no effect anymore
as the context has already been created one eight note ago (in this case).

best regards,
Wilbert Berendsen

--
Frescobaldi, LilyPond editor for KDE: http://www.frescobaldi.org/