Re: Lilypond and Jazz chords

From: Brett Duncan
Subject: Re: Lilypond and Jazz chords
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 19:21:53 +1000

Grammostola Rosea wrote:
Maybe it's an idea to brainstorm a bit about how we want Jazz chords to
be displayed? Maybe some interested people can form a group like the
'tablature group' does?

I'd welcome people creating documents that describe how chord naming should
work.  I think that there is a two-step process:

1) Get the chord naming right (it's currently broken)

2) Make sure we have sufficient flexibility to accommodate anybody's desired
method of displaying chords (I think this is pretty close right now,
although it may need some tweaking).

Do we have an Jazz/pop chord expert on the list (I'm sure he/she exist)? And who wants to help with this?

I don't consider myself an "expert", but after 20 years of playing with various pop, rock and jazz groups, I've got a pretty good idea of what's out there as far as chord notation goes, and I'm willing to be part of the discussion. I'm also willing to help on the programming side _if_ I can get my head around Scheme.

Brett