Re: MIDI and transposing instruments

From: Peter Chubb
Subject: Re: MIDI and transposing instruments
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 16:26:54 +1000

>>>>> "bernie" == bernie arai <address@hidden> writes:

bernie> i'm trying my hand at finally using the midi output of
bernie> lilypond to audition my scores (instead of relying on my
bernie> horrid piano playing).  after a bit of messing around, and a
bernie> while looking through the docs, i'm a bit stumped as to what
bernie> to try next.  i've defined instruments for example:

bernie>      tenorsax = \transpose c d' \relative c { % tenor notes
bernie> (in concert pitch) }

Move the transpose to the printed version only.

What I do when the parts are in sounding pitch is:

tenorSax=\relative c' {\set Staff.midiInstrument = "tenor sax"
 ... }

\score {
        % for printing
        \context Staff = sax { \set Staff.instrumentName = "Tenor"
        \clef "G"
        \transpose c d' \tenorSax

\score {
        % for sounding