Re: "Missing" jazz chord modifiers

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: "Missing" jazz chord modifiers
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 13:15:39 -0600

On 6/9/09 11:16 AM, "lasconic" <address@hidden> wrote:

> maybe bass ?
> for removing third and fifth and keeping the root only?

Does this mean that you'd like to have a one-note "chord"?  I've never seen
this before in notation (but that doesn't mean too much).

If you do want a one-note chord, I'd prefer to use "root" instead of "bass";
we already have a modifier for changing the bass note of a chord (/), and I
think having two different "bass" modifiers would be confusing.

Under this notation, c2:root would produce a chord whose notes were only C,
and whose name is what?

Thanks,

Carl