Re: Issues compiling multiple voice drum midi

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: Issues compiling multiple voice drum midi
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 21:52:04 -0600

On 6/10/09 8:16 PM, "address@hidden" <address@hidden> wrote:

> This issue may be too elementary for this mailing list or may have already
> been addressed, however I cannot find answers in digging through the
> archives and am not sure where to ask more basic questions. If I need to be
> re-directed to another area please don't feel afraid to tell me to go away,
> i'd just appreciate a little push in the right direction.

No, this is the right place.  You'll find the -user group is very helpful, I
think.

> The issue I'm having is making a midi out of a piece of drum music that
> contains two voices. I'm quite sure that the problem would persist in
> non-percussion music but I don't have experience trying that. I can compile
> a midi file from code that contains no voice voice tags, but once I make 2
> voices it compiles a midi file with no sound. To use the example in the
> manual:
>
> \score {
>      \new DrumStaff <<
>        \new DrumVoice = "1" { s1 *2 }
>        \new DrumVoice = "2" { s1 *2 }
>        \drummode {
>          bd4 sn4 bd4 sn4
>          <<
>            { \repeat unfold 16 hh16 }
>            \\
>            { bd4 sn4 bd4 sn4 }
>>>
>        }
>>>
> \midi { }
> }
>
> When compiled as a PDF it will correctly make two measures of drum music
> one being: \drummode { bd4 sn4 bd4 sn4 ...... }
>
> and the next:
> .... { \repeat unfold 16 hh16 } \\ { bd4 sn4 bd4 sn4 }....
>
> However, when compiled as a midi it will only make the first measure of
> music "bd4 sn4 bd4 sn4". It does not leave empty space where the next
> measure would be, it simply does not compile it. Is there something I'm
> missing or is this a bug?

Looks like a bug to me, and it still exists in 2.13.1.  And it's
problematic, since the example is still in the manual...

However, you can use the explicit polyphony, and it will work.

up = \drummode { \repeat unfold 16 hh16}
down = \drummode { bd4 sn4 bd4 sn4 }
\score {
  \new DrumStaff <<
       \new DrumVoice { \voiceOne {
         \drummode { s1 }
         \up
       \new DrumVoice { \voiceTwo {
         \down
         \down

\layout{}
\midi{}
}

> I am currently using lilypond version 2.10.33 as the manual for 2.10 is the
> only one I can find instructions for entering percussion in. Perhaps this
> has been changed in the updates of the language, does it compile for any
> one else?

Please use 2.12 (or 2.13).  Both the code and the docs are better.  You can
read about percussion in 2.12 at

<http:://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Percussion>

HTH,

Carl