Re: SacredHarpHeads: possible solution to major/minor problem

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: SacredHarpHeads: possible solution to major/minor problem
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 22:59:51 -0500

Mark Polesky wrote:
Are accidentals *ever* printed next to the notes in Sacred Harp?
If not, then all you need to do is this:

\version "2.13.1"

suppressAllAccidentals = \set Staff.autoAccidentals =
  #`(Staff ,(lambda (context pitch barnum position) '(#f . #f)))

\relative {
  \key d \minor
  \suppressAllAccidentals
  \sacredHarpHeads
  d e f g a b c d
}

If it's a hard and fast rule that there are never accidentals
except in the key-signature, I might propose that the
indiscriminate suppression of all accidentals be incorporated
into the \sacredHarpHeads command.

If accidentals are printed next to notes *some* of the time,
then it gets trickier. Let me know.

Thanks for this, Mark. I'm not a Sacret Harp guy and don't really know whether there are ever accidentals, but if they're not, then your solution above is good, with the exception that the key still (I think) has to be called by the relative major so that the shapes are applied to the right scale degrees. This code produces the right appearance and MIDI output (confirm this, Tim?):

\version "2.12.2"

suppressAllAccidentals =
\set Staff.autoAccidentals =
  #`(Staff ,(lambda (context pitch barnum position) '(#f . #f)))

\score {
  \relative c' {
    \sacredHarpHeads
    \suppressAllAccidentals