Re: new website: initial comments

From: David Stocker
Subject: Re: new website: initial comments
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 08:11:05 -0400

Nice new layout.

I have only two suggestions:

  1. Perhaps justified text (without hyphenation?) would be better for
     pages with large with paragraphs of text. I'm thinking of the
     /Engraving Essay/. I think it's cleaner looking and fits better
     with LilyPond's ethos of beautiful typography.
  2. On the documentation page, maybe it would be better to choose a
     wording other than "Normal Users" for the second section of
     documentation links. This might imply that "Beginning Users" are
     somehow /abnormal/. Maybe "Regular Users" or "Experienced Users"
     would be a better choice.

I know the second one seems nitpicky, but LilyPond is becoming a mature 'brand' and when you're advertising a brand, every aspect of your image should be carefully considered.

Nice site. Thanks for all the effort.

David

Graham Percival wrote:
Here's a very rough initial draft of our new website:
http://percival-music.ca/blogfiles/out/lilypond-general_1.html

Any comments or offers of help?  At the moment, I'm looking for
overall design issues, like "you should have a `blarg' section on
the main menu" or "I can't find the current documentation on this
new website".

If you have any requests, go ahead and list them, although (as
always) I will highly filter these requests with respect to our
available resources.  Requests which are accompanied by offers of
help will almost certainly make it through the filter.  :)

Cheers,
- Graham