Re: good rendering of PDF

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: good rendering of PDF
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 14:32:36 +0200 (CEST)

> - the actual acrobat reader version on windows is 9.1.2

Not on Linux...

> - how did you convert from pdf to png (is it a snapshot, a
> conversion with another tool, something else?)

A simple screen snapshot of the two PDF viewer windows side by side.

> - what does it mean to have a scaling of 25% with gv against 58.6%
> with acroread - shouldn't both come up with the same size when they
> have the same scaling? (to me they both look the same size with
> different scaling)

Apparently not.  I have no idea on which parameters the scaling is
based; I've just selected a percentage to make the two pages appear
identical in size.

> - how does it compare on printed output?

No idea.  However, I'm quite sure that printed output (at a not too
small size) is identical due to the much higher DPI values.

> - could you make the pdf or lilypond code public, so we could
> compare with our own pdf viewers?  on windows there are many more of
> them - also free!

I won't publish the source, sorry.  However, there is not a single
`special' code in it; it's plain lilypond code, without any nifty
features.  Consequently, you can take any lilypond example from the
documentation to do the same experiment.

    Werner