Re: removing naturals

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: removing naturals
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 10:50:11 -0400

Hi Peter,

The following is a left-hand octave-exercise for guitar. It has no tempo. I do
not want the natural symbols to appear in the exercise. I used
"Staff.extraNatural = ##f" is an attempt to eliminate the naturals as per the instructions on page 6 of the Notation Reference manual, but that did not
help. Is there a way to remove all the natural symbols?

Setting extraNatural = ##f simply ensures that you don't get (e.g.) a natural *and* a flat when a sharpened note is followed by a flattened one of the same pitch (e.g., A# followed by Ab).

Since you've used \cadenzaOn, the entire exercise is (according to Lilypond) in one measure -- therefore, engraving rules state that the naturals have to be there in order to cancel out the previous accidentals in the same bar. Notice, for example, that the second note on the second line is an F# (octaves), but there are no accidentals! No doubt this is not what you want.

If you want to eliminate the naturals, you need to trick Lilypond into thinking that these are multiple measures (so that the "C major" key signature takes over on each note), or apply one of the other accidental rules (as outlined in the docs, e.g. <http://lilypond.org/ doc/v2.13/Documentation/user/lilypond/Displaying-pitches#Automatic- accidentals>).

Also, is there a way to increase the font size of the "8" in the "treble_8" clef?

Override the Clef stencil, and build the markup yourself -- I don't know any other way. See the docs (especially the LSR) for examples of overriding grob stencil(s).

Hope this helps!
Kieren.