Re: website draft 4, help wanted

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: website draft 4, help wanted
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 17:33:59 +0200

2009/7/6 Valentin Villenave <address@hidden>:
> 2009/7/6 Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden>:
>> Just by accident I looked upon Valentin's page, if only we would
>> be able to steel the header images/gradient and possibly put nicely
>> rounded tabs into the bottom of that header gradient
>> [CSS stealing suggestion: http://tinto-taal.nl ] and also steal
>> other rounded stuff?
>
> Interesting. Does that kind of accidents happen to you a lot? :)
>
>> Also, Valentin's page uses two nice basic colours, light blue-ish
>> and dark-greenish.
>
> I don't know if you're referring to my personal website or the
> news.lilynet.net website. Much less rounded stuff on that last one,
> though.
>
> As for me, I still haven't managed to get over the
> http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/complexspiral/glassy.html that has
> been posted here some days ago. Actually, this has made me want to
> redo my whole website. No, actually, this has made me want to close my
> website and never ever pretend I know a thing or two about CSS again
> :)
>
>> A lot of [very important] work on content and structure has been
>> done and discussed about, I'd really like to see some work/proposals/
>> discussions on how the site could look/feel, looking through your
>> eyelashes.
>
> The rounded thingy I used is actually a JavaScript hack from
> http://www.html.it/articoli/niftycube/index.html
>
> Firefox has native support for rounded corners, but it's not
> compatible with other browsers, and the rounded parts are not
> anti-aliased (and therefore look a bit rough).
>
> JavaScript hacks are ugly, and should be avoided whenever possible.
> Other than that, it is possible to make frames rounded by simply using
> background images; however this cannot be used together with a
> background radient. (And, hell, there still are 25% people out there
> who can even display alpha-enabled PNG images correctly).
>
> Yeah, life sucks -- maybe I could use some of your Avatar thing right now :)

I'd like to suggest intermediate solutions like mozilla.com , it has
rounded corners and gradients, but the background is mostly white.
Background gradients can be nightmarish for designers, but
partially-filled backgrounds with a limited-size image look beautiful
and they are less problematic. Also, not everything is inside boxes,
which obviously tend to be rectangular. That gives a general feeling
of openess and freedom.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org