Shifting down-stemmed notes rightwards

From: Richard Sabey
Subject: Shifting down-stemmed notes rightwards
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 15:21:03 -0700 (PDT)

(This message is a second attempt to send my query to the Lilypond mailing
list. It is identical to my message
http://www.nabble.com/Shifting-down-stemmed-notes-rightwards-td24379277.html
which was posted to the messageboard yesterday but has not yet been sent to
the mailing list.)

How can I shift down-stemmed notes rightwards?

I am setting 4-part harmony onto 2 staves to be played on the piano.
Sometimes the tenor line goes so far above the bass that it is easier for
the pianist to play the soprano, alto and tenor notes in the right hand. To
make it easier for the pianist to read, I would like such tenor notes to be
placed in the upper stave, and (so as not to clash with the alto notes) with
stems downwards and shifted rightwards a little.

The code below shows the problem I am trying to avoid:

\version "2.12.2"

RH =
{
        \change Staff = "rh"
        \stemDown
}

LH =
{
        \change Staff = "lh"
        \stemUp
}

sa =
{
    <<
        { c'' b' c'' c'' }
    \\
        { e' g' g' e' }

}

tb =
{
    \clef bass
    <<
        { g \RH f' e' \LH g }
    \\
        { c d c c }

}

\score
{
    <<
        \new PianoStaff <<
            \new Staff = "rh" << \sa >>
            \new Staff = "lh" << \tb >>

}

I don't mind the alto and tenor notes sharing a stem as they do in the third
chord, but I need to tease them apart horizontally when they are a second
apart, as in the second chord. I have tried adding the following to the
definition of RH, to no avail:

        \voiceFour

This shifts the notes horizontally, but it shifts them leftwards, which
looks wrong because the tenor noteheads are lower than the alto noteheads
and thus collide with the alto notes' stems.

        \shiftOn

This also shifts the notes leftwards.

        \override NoteColumn #'force-hshift = #1.0

This does not shift those notes which are on the upper stave with stems
down. Why not?

So in summary, how can I get an effect similar to \voiceFour or \shiftOn on
down-stemmed notes, but shifting them to the right rather than the left?

I am using Lilypond 2.12.2 on Windows XP Pro.