Re: hurdles for contributors (was: help wanted, I mean it)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: hurdles for contributors (was: help wanted, I mean it)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 03:33:43 -0700

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 10:11:38AM +0100, Trevor Daniels wrote:

> I've not been so active in LP doc work recently as I'm
> migrating a choral website I maintain to php 5 and xml,
> and I can't leave it in a half-completed state for long.
> I wish I could simply upload my changes to the hosting
> site with a git push rather than ftp!

... especially since ftp exposes your password to anybody on the
same network connection as you.  It's like shouting out your
password in a restaurant.  OK, only people in the restaurant can
hear you shout, so it's not like everybody in the whole world will
get your id/password.  But it's a completely broken protocol.

(in defense of the original grad student(s) who invented it, back
"in the day", university computer accounts didn't even have
passwords!  So it's not surprising that they didn't take security
seriously)

> When that's finished I shall get back to the LM, as I
> promised.  For that, I'd be happy for contributors to
> send me small changes as straight text, but any major
> changes would have to contain texinfo mark-up.

Hmm, maybe we could set up a pyramid scheme here.  Trevor handles
git for two new contributors, then in a few months, each of those
people learn git and handles it for for two more new contributors,
etc.  :)

Cheers,
- Graham