[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Best name for function to create cross-style noteheads

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Best name for function to create cross-style noteheads
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:50:42 +0200
User-agent: Thunderbird (X11/20090608)

TaoCG schrieb:
Carl Sorensen-3 wrote:
2) For each of the instances you identified in part 1), what do you call
resulting note?

I've never heard the term 'dead note' but 'ghost note' is very common.
Doesn't matter if it's a string or wind instrument. Neither is it limited to
woodwinds, it occurs in brass as well. Listen to Miles Davis, Chet Baker,
etc. and you will hear this a lot.
On guitar and bass, a ghost note has a parenthesized note head, whereas a dead note is plucked and dampened at the same time, so that you only hear the sound of the plucking. The pitch is used to clarify which sting you use (when there is no tablature), or to make sure that the damping finger is not moved away from its former position (because the same
note is played normal style after the dead note, e.g.)
For string instruments I experience this to be especially common among
electric bass players.
As a bass player, I found in every book of teaching bass that I own the term "dead note" (even in
german book the english term is used).


reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]