Re: Best name for function to create cross-style noteheads

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Best name for function to create cross-style noteheads
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 03:41:49 -0700

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:18:42AM +0100, Trevor Daniels wrote:

> Carl Sorensen wrote Tuesday, July 21, 2009 10:13 PM
>>
>> On 7/21/09 3:00 PM, "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>> So, if we follow this advice (which I think is good), I'd propose the
>> following:
>>
>> \crossHeadsOn : turns on cross noteheads for all notes
>> \crossHeadsOff : reverts cross noteheads for all notes
>> \crossHead : makes the notes in the music expression following the
>> occurrence have cross heads.
>>

> Seems fine.  I have a slight preference for the
> later suggestion of \xHeadsOn etc, just because
> they are shorter.

I'd rather go for \crossHeadsOn, since it's less ambiguous.  I
mean, yes, a cross is an X shape, but it still doesn't feel as
clear as \cross.

One caution I'll throw in: the name may well change during GLISS
(Grand Lilypond Input Syntax Standardization).  In particular, one
discussion we'll have is whether we should standardize on
  \notationElementModificationOn
or
  \modificationNotationElementOn

That said, we're not going to have this discussion right now, so
there's basically a 50% chance that whatever you pick, it'll be
changed next year anyway.  Hate to be so pessimistic, but I think
it's better for people to be aware of upcoming potential problems.

Cheers,
- Graham