Beam direction with \new Voice

From: lilypond
Subject: Beam direction with \new Voice
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 17:30:16 +0100

Hello,

I'm sorry if this is a very simple problem and has been covered before. I've searched the archives and haven't found an answer, so I'm hoping someone will be able to help me!

I am working on a song that includes something like this:
<< { some notes } \\ { some more notes } >>

However, the lyrics skipped these notes so I had a look in the archives and found that I could change it to the following:

<< { some notes } \new Voice { some more notes } >>

This works for the lyrics, but the notes now don't pay any attention to each other and the beams now point towards rather than away from each other and so clash. Is there a way to manually change these beams without turning autobeams off for the whole song?

Thank you,
Heike