Re: Strumming rhythm for chord progression

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Strumming rhythm for chord progression
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 10:40:58 -0500

On Aug 14, 2009, at 9:41 AM, Christian Henning wrote:

Hi all, thanks a lot for your reply. I think I understand now. Inside
the \improvisationOn section I don't have to reuse the real chord
name. A placeholder might be sufficient? So instead of writing g1:sus
I can just use g1. All I want in the end is to have the chord name to
appear above the stave only. Am I on the right track?

Much IMHO simpler would be to use following template which was sent to me by someone else on the list when I first started using LilyPond. It works by having a section for inputting the chords (the "harmonies" variable), another section for inputting notes (the "melody" variable) and then a section that puts them together on the page (the "score" variable). Substitute your LilyPond version if you are not using 2.12.2. For the melody, if you are not going to transcribe that, just put it a whole note rest for each bar. Of course, I think that you should score the melody too, learning to transcribe that kind of thing is an essential skill for any serious musician. If you've scored the melody, then you can put in the lyrics and have a complete lead sheet. The lyrics go in the / addlyrics block; if you put nothing in there, LilyPond will complain but will still render correctly, or you can delete the /addlyrics block and it's curly braces.

Hope this helps!

\version "2.12.2"

#(ly:set-option 'delete-intermediate-files #t) % deletes the .ps file automatically

\paper {
    indent = 0.0
    ragged-last = ##t

}

\header {
  title = ""
  composer = ""
  meter = ""
  copyright = ""
}

harmonies = \chordmode {

% chords go here

}

melody = \relative c' {
\override Staff.TimeSignature #'style = #'()
\time 4/4
\clef treble
\key

% melody notes or a lot of rests go here

}

\addlyrics  {

% you can delete \addlyrics and the two curly braces

}

\score {
  <<

    \new ChordNames {