Re: markup help

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: markup help
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 10:14:20 -0700 (PDT)

James E. Bailey wrote:
> Thank you, incidentally, after some trial and error (after I
> sent the email) I figured that out. Although I should point out,
> neither documentation source says that the glyph names for the
> numbers don't begin with "scripts".

Are you referring to the section NR 1.2.5 "Rehearsal marks"?
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Bars#Rehearsal-marks

In that section, it says:

  See The Feta font, for a list of symbols which may be printed
  with \musicglyph.

Okay, I guess I can imagine some confusion. If you click on the
"Feta font" link, you're taken to an appendix that starts with an
example which happens to also use the "script." prefix:

  The following symbols are available in the Emmentaler font and
  may be accessed directly using text markup such as
  g^\markup { \musicglyph #"scripts.segno" }, see Formatting text.

I think a good solution might be to replace the "Feta font" link
in NR 1.2.5 "Rehearsal marks" with a link to NR B.8.4 "Music",
such as:

  For more information on using the \musicglyph command, see
  "Music".

Clicking on "Music" would take you here:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Music#Music

And that section accomplishes two things: it shows that not all
glyph names start with "scripts.", and it links to
"the Feta font".Would that be better?

One last thing, you can always try the command index
(NR appendix E) if you get stuck with a command:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/LilyPond-command-index

If you look up "\musicglyph" there you'll find two references, one
of which is to the NR B.8.4 "Music" section I mentioned earlier.
But now, of course, I see another problem. If you look up
"musicglyph" (without the backslash), you won't find it. Grrr.
Work-in-progress...

- Mark