Re: Contemporary music documentation

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Contemporary music documentation
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 08:06:44 -0600

On 9/4/09 3:36 AM, "Joseph Wakeling" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Graham Percival wrote:
>> Those "actual contemporary scores" must be placed in the public
>> domain, licensed under Creative Commons, or licensed under the GNU
>> FDL.  If you're thinking about an exerpt of Shostakovich or Glass,
>> then forget about it.  Blame copyright law[1], not me.
>
> Actually I was thinking of Ferneyhough, but ... :-P

But as we've mentioned before, one could take that two-measure excerpt and
change the pitches and perhaps the durations, but still keep the
contemporary notation elements.  This would not be a violation of copyright
law anywhere that I know of.

Also, as you plan sections, remember that anything using \set or \override
belongs in a snippet, not in the main text body.  In order to have a
meaningful manual, this may require the addition of some new LilyPond
commands, which is *not* a problem.

Thanks,

Carl