Re: problems building documentation without compiling LilyPond

From: Patrick Schmidt
Subject: Re: problems building documentation without compiling LilyPond
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 08:22:37 +0200

> In the attached log, I saw:
> patrick-schmidts-computer:~/lilypond PLS$ cp GNUmakefile.in
> GNUmakefile
> cp: GNUmakefile: Permission denied
>

> You must have ran this command as root.  Please make sure that
> everything in the lilypond directory is owned by your user, then
> try this again.
I changed the rights for this file to read *and* write.

> In general, follow the instructions step-by-step, but if you see
> any warnings or errors, DO NOT continue to the next step.
(apart from ./autogen.sh #ignore any warning messages)

> ... oh, also make sure you read the warning about OSX at the
> bottom of the "building with the documentation without compiling
> lilypond" page.  That will fix the dyld error.
This is what I did:

1) I changed the PATH in .profile to
export PATH=:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH

and added

export
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources:\
/opt/local/lib:$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH

(this path doesn't have a linebreak in the docs
(http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/contributor/Problems.html#Problems).
 You have to scroll horizontally to see the rest of this path and you can't see
it in a printout. I hoped this to be the source of my problems, but alas…)

Now bison 2.4.1 is detected. As I couldn't see any bison related errors I
assumed that section Bison 1.875 in CG section 2.1.6 Problems doesn't apply to
me.

2) Changed config.make file (FLEXLEXER_FILE = /opt/local/include/FlexLexer.h)

3) Checked ls /opt/local/share/ghostscript/fonts

I got the message: No such file or directory

There seems to be a spelling mistake in the CG. When I typed:

svn export http://svn.ghostscript.com/ghostscript/tags/urw-fonts-1.0.7pre44/

I got the message svn: command not found. (There seems to be another typo in rm
-rf urw-fonts-1.07pre44. Shouldn't it be 1.0.7?

4) I did not create scripts for pngtopnm and pnmtopng as I couldn't find the
corresponding executable programs in /sw/bin/. At least for dummies like myself
the CG is not clear enough, here. Do I have to create two text files which
contain something like that:

#!/bin/bash
exec /sw/bin/pngtopnm "$@"

and save these files in /sw/lib/? Do I have to add

export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/sw/lib to ~./profile or just type it in the terminal?
Is it a problem that I installed netpbm even though it's quite old (2005)? The
man-pages of netpbm mentioned that pngtopnm and pnmtopng are part of netbpm.
Sorry for these questions but obviously it's not clear to me.

Building documentation is fine now until I type:

nice make
LILYPOND_EXTERNAL_BINARY=/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/lilypond
 doc

(I assumed that /path/to/ means the path to LilyPond.app on my machine.)

My www-out directory still contains nothing but the file dummy.dep. For
error messages see attached file.

Any hint on how to proceed would be very much appreciated!
patrick