Re: outside-staff-priority with slur and hairpin

From: Jonathan Wilkes
Subject: Re: outside-staff-priority with slur and hairpin
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 22:51:38 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Thu, 9/17/09, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Trevor Daniels <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: outside-staff-priority with slur and hairpin
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> Date: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 10:08 AM
>
> Jonathan Wilkes wrote Thursday, September 17, 2009 1:38 AM
> >
> >     I did a quick exercise
> typsetting a Schumann score, and I'm puzzled
> > because to get the hairpin under the slur I had to
> turn up
> > 'outside-staff-priority for the slur to be greater
> than 250. Otherwise,
> > the snippet below doesn't work correctly.
> >     Reading the NR, it sounds like
> Lilypond just sorts in increasing
> > order for outside-staff objects.  Why can't I
> just set
> > 'outside-staff-priority for the Hairpin to #1?
>
> Have you not read the Learning Manual?  The
> Notation Reference assumes you have.  This is
> explained in considerable detail in section 4.4.3.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.  I wanted to know why I can't just set
Hairpin to #1 and the Slur to #2 for 'outside-staff-priority.  And I
forgot to search the LM before posting.

Yes, I've read (but not memorized) the LM, and I see that overriding the
'outside-staff-priority for DynamicLineSpanner works while using
the same override for Hairpin does not.  Yet nothing in the section you
refer to states that DynamicLineSpanner is the *only* way to change
'outside-staff-priority for a dynamic.

There's a paragraph in LM 4.3.1 that says [regarding properties of
objects]:

"Before we tackle this, let us remember that object properties are grouped in
what are called interfaces – see Properties found in interfaces. This is simply
to group together those properties that may be used together to tweak a
graphical object – if one of them is allowed for an object, so are the others.
Some objects then use the properties in some interfaces, others use them from
other interfaces. The interfaces which contain the properties used by a
particular grob are listed in the IR at the bottom of the page describing that
grob, and those properties may be viewed by looking at those interfaces."

So when it says properties are "allowed" for an object, what exactly does
that mean?  Also, what does it mean to say "the properties used by a
particular grob?"

I'm not a programmer, so some of this is a little difficult to grasp, but
by the logic of that paragraph what I'm getting is that
'outside-staff-priority is a property that is allowed for Hairpin objects
(because I know 'transparent works on Hairpins and is part of the grob
interface), is used by Hairpin objects (because grob-interface is listed at the
bottom of the IR for Hairpin), but still cannot be used to
make the Hairpin go below the Slur in my example.

-Jonathan