Re: Contemporary music required feature #1: chromatic transposition

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Contemporary music required feature #1: chromatic transposition
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 15:18:33 +0200

On 22 Sep 2009, at 15:00, Carl Sorensen wrote:

If you get the chromatic transposition working properly, I'll commit to
helping you get it embedded in LilyPond.

My impression is that this works properly, only that LilyPond does not have the capacity to treat # and b as operators that can be iterated. Right now, I think, it just looks up the offset, and reports an error if no glyph is found for that offset.

The missing glyph problem could be fixed by LilyPond then continuing and, if the offset is positive, subtracting a #, and then makes a new glyph lookup; and so on, until the offset becomes negative, and first then reports an error. Otherwise, print the number of #'s and the accidental.

It will be not difficult to implement this in core LilyPond.

Presumably there will be some sort of normalize-pitches function, which will
take a staff position with with alterations and, based upon the key
signature, turn it into a different staff position and alteration that
represents the same pitch.

Different normalize-pitches functions can be written for different behavior.

A property representing the normalize-pitch function can tell the code which
function to call.

It will be necessary to add a property (easily done), and add the property
to an interface (also easily done).

For this, I think he just wants a version of the naturalizeMusic that applies E12 enharmonic equivalence if the offset is greater that two sharps, so one does not have to display a doublesharp plus a microtonal raising accidental. Though there is the case of say E#+ - should that be replaced by F+?

  Hans