Tuplet spanner length bug in v.2.13?

From: Richard Sabey
Subject: Tuplet spanner length bug in v.2.13?
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 12:09:44 +0000

It seems to me that \set tupletSpannerDuration fails to affect tuplets that are in a << \\ >> construct.

I am using Lilypond version 2.13.6. Has Lilypond changed in this regard since version 2.12? The documentation on the web site suggests that it has not.

There follow two similar Lilypond files. The first does not use a << \\ >> construct, and produces the tuplet brackets as I want them (grouping the triplet 16ths by threes into 8ths). The second uses a << \\ >> construct and produces one long tuplet bracket over all 12 notes, as if \set tupletSpannerDuration weren't there.

Aside from not using << \\ >> constructs, what workaround is there, please? I find the << \\ >> construct very useful for entering music when there are more contrapuntal parts than staves, or when the music goes from linear to contrapuntal and back.

Richard Sabey

%%% First Lilypond file
\version "2.13.6"

music =
{
    % This works in that it creates the right tuplet-spanners (the beams are wrong but that's another matter)
    \set tupletSpannerDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1 8)    % indicates that there's a triplet  group every quaver
    \relative c' \times 2/3 { e16 e e e e e e e e e e e }
} % music

\score
{
    <<
        \new Staff << \music >>

    \layout { }
} % score
%%% End of first Lilypond file
%%% Second Lilypond file
\version "2.13.6"

music =
{
    <<
    % This fails to create the right tuplet-spanners.
    \set tupletSpannerDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1 8)    % indicates that there's a triplet group every quaver
    \relative c' \times 2/3 { e16 e e e e e e e e e e e }
    \\
    c'2

} % music

\score
{
    <<
        \new Staff << \music >>

    \layout { }
} % score
%%% End of second Lilypond file

New Windows 7: Simplify what you do everyday. Find the right PC for you.