Re: website so close, and yet so far

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: website so close, and yet so far
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 20:58:33 +0100

Am Donnerstag, 29. Oktober 2009 17:23:18 schrieb Frank Steinmetzger:
> Am Donnerstag, 29. Oktober 2009 schrieb Valentin Villenave:
> >
> > Wow, is this normal:
> >
> > http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/
> >
> > This link points to the non-officially-published website's homepage???
>
> I just look on it and would like to mention that the site has some problems
> with Konqueror 3:
> The content from the heading ("Documentation for Lilypond 2.13.6") to above
>  of the footer is embedded in a scrolling area. (see attached screen shot).

Yes, because it's a <div> with overflow set to scrolling in the CSS...

> The documentation browser is odd. ;-)
> I can't use the scroll wheel function in there

That's fixed in KDE 4...

> and if I search for a word
>  in the text, it gets highlighted but not scrolled to automatically.

Yes, that's the main problem of Konqueror (which I'm using myself)...
That issue also appears if you jump to an anchor in the middle of the page:
Konqueror will always show the beginning of the page :(

>  Something tells me these are not ordinary framesets.

No, framesets are a big no-no for several reasons: 1) multiple files involved
2) bookmarking is not possible, 3) accessibility issues, etc.

> Granted, Konqueror 3 is sadly reaching the end of its life and one could
>  just ignore the tiny fraction of ppl still using it. But still, my
>  observations could hint to some bigger problems within the code.

No, there should be no bigger problem. Just that Konqueror is not able to
fully handle the CSS we have...
It works fine in opera and firefox.

Cheers,
Reinhold