Simultaneous text spanners

From: James W.
Subject: Simultaneous text spanners
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 11:25:10 -0600

Hello,

Kind of new to Lilypond (been using it for a few months), but love it so far.

My question: Is it possible to have simultaneous text spanners in a single
voice context? In my example below, there are obvious problems with the
two undistinguished \stopTextSpanner commands. But I think it illustrates
what I'm trying to do. If it is not possible this way, how would I go about
doing it? I've read the Learning Manual a couple of times, the Notation
Manual, looked in the archives of this mailing list, etc. Any help will be
greatly appreciated.

% begin example
\version "2.13.6"

spanOne = {
   \override TextSpanner #'(bound-details left text) = \markup { "span one" }
}

spanTwo = {
   \override TextSpanner #'(bound-details left text) = \markup { "span two" }
}

\score {
   \new Staff {
       \relative c {
           \clef bass
           \time 4/4

           \spanOne c4 \startTextSpan c \spanTwo c \startTextSpan c
           d4 d d d \stopTextSpan
           e4 e \stopTextSpan e e

   \layout { }
}