Re: Is there a perl script to partially convert ascii tabs to lilypond

From: Patrick Schmidt
Subject: Re: Is there a perl script to partially convert ascii tabs to lilypond input?
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 20:12:12 +0100

Hi Hugh,

I haven't heard of any perl scripts to convert ascii tabs to lilypond (apart
from your script. Sounds interesting!) but I know of two programs that are
supposed to be able to import ascii and export MusicXML (with musicxml2ly you
can convert to LilyPond):

1) GuitarPro (commercial)
2) Harmony Assistant (commercial)

With GuitarPro 5 (Mac-version) I can open .txt/.tab-files but tablature is
faulty and the program crashes when I try to export MusicXML. Harmony Assistant
seems to do a rather decent job but I only tried the demo version.

TablEdit could be an alternative. It can also read ascii and you can export it
to abc and midi. (With abc2ly and midi2ly you can convert to lilypond.)

There also seems to exist a solution to convert from midi to ascii and vice
versa but I haven't tried it.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------