Re: Midi2ly work for Windows?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Midi2ly work for Windows?
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 16:29:44 +0100

Austin W wrote:
So I got it to work after realizing that midi2ly.py is just a big text file. You have to type python before midi2ly to load midi2ly in python. Is this in a help file somewhere? So it's:

c:\Program Files\Lilypond\usr\bin\python midi2ly.py type1midi.mid
That should definitely not be necessary! Just typing
midi2ly whateverfilename.midi
should do the same thing.

If you want to investigate, open a command prompt, type
set path
and copy the resulting output into an email to the mailing list.

In the email from Eluze, it's explained what you should look for in this output if you want to investigate it yourself.

    /Mats

And if you have a midi editing program then you should be able to quantize everything to 100% note duration before converting it thus making a much better looking ly file without fraction lengths.

-Austin W

> Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 00:39:44 +0100
> From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden
> CC: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: Midi2ly work for Windows?
>
> Quoting Patrick McCarty <address@hidden>:
>
> > On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 2:48 PM, Austin Wiegand
> > <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> Am I just not entering it right or does it not work for Windows? I
> >> open the dos
> >> prompt and type "...\midi2ly pi-type1.mid" and get the error:
> >> "'midi2ly' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
> >> program or batch file."
> >> Even when I just try running the program without a midi after it
> >> Windows doesn't
> >> know what it is.
>
> First of all, the PATH setting that was mentioned in a previous email
> should automatically be done by the LilyPond installation program, but
> you may have to log out and then log in again after the installation
> for it to work.
>
> Secondly, you should just specify the command name, not any full path.
> For example, if you just type the command
> midi2ly
> you should get a printout like:
> Usage: midi2ly [OPTION]... FILE
>
> Convert MIDI to LilyPond input.
>

> > Last time I tried, it did not work. See
> >
> > http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=834
>
> I just tried it right now with LilyPond version 2.13.8 and midi2ly
> certainly works on a small MIDI file that previously was generated by
> LilyPond, so the above mentioned problem does not happen for all MIDI
> files, so if you are lucky it will work with your MIDI file. However,
> don't expect too much from midi2ly since it has several limitations.
> Especially, if often results in weird note durations, since it
> interprets the MIDI file too literally.
>
> /Mats

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing