flash cards

From: Hugh Myers
Subject: flash cards
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 18:15:06 -0700

I have previously seen inquires about making flash cards with
Lilypond. Thinking that this would be a good way to learn more about
the world of musical typesetting I decided to re-invent this
particular wheel. With a fair amount of help from the list here is
cards.ly:

%%%%%%%%%%
%%
%% cards.ly -- Lilypond flash cards with tablature
%%
%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.13.7"
\include "rhythm.ly"
\header {
  tagline = ##f
}
\layout {
  \context {
    \Staff
    \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
    \override VerticalAxisGroup #'next-staff-spacing = #'(
      (space . 15)(padding . 0)(stretchability . 0)(minimum-distance . 12))
\paper {
  indent = 0\mm
  paper-width = 3\in
  line-width = 1.5\in
  paper-height = 5\in
  print-page-number = ##f
  ragged-last-bottom = ##f
}
flashNote = #(define-music-function (parser location note)(ly:music?) #{
  \makeRhythm $note "4" s2. \pageBreak
  #}
)
flashcard = {
  \flashNote e,
  \flashNote f
  \flashNote fis
  \flashNote g
  \flashNote gis
  \flashNote a
  \flashNote ais
  \flashNote b
  \flashNote c
  \flashNote cis
  \flashNote d
  \flashNote dis

  \flashNote e
  \flashNote f
  \flashNote fis
  \flashNote g
  \flashNote gis
  \flashNote a
  \flashNote ais
  \flashNote b
  \flashNote c
  \flashNote cis
  \flashNote d
  \flashNote dis

  \flashNote e
  \flashNote f
  \flashNote fis
  \flashNote g
  \flashNote gis
  \flashNote a
  \flashNote ais
  \flashNote b
  \flashNote c
  \flashNote cis
  \flashNote d
  \flashNote dis

}
{
  <<
    \new StaffGroup <<
      \set Score.barNumberVisibility = ##f
      \new Staff \relative c' {
        \flashcard
      }
      \new TabStaff \relative c {
        \flashcard

Most of the 'picky' stuff is in \header, \layout and \paper. The
function \flashNote is there because I dislike typing when I don't
have to although I'm not fanatic about it ;-) It is also there because
I wanted an excuse to learn more about Lilypond functions(this one is
beginner level substitution at best). Modifying this for similar needs
should not be difficult.

--hsm