Re: LilyPond on Linux

From: Brett McCoy
Subject: Re: LilyPond on Linux
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 10:57:40 -0500

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 10:40 AM, James Lowe <address@hidden> wrote:

> Use virtual box.
>
> It's very simple, free and doesn't require any special CPUs.
>
> I use it all the time on windows 7 with the Lilybunto.iso which you can get
> from here:
>
> http://prodet.hu/bert/lilydev/lilybuntu.iso
>
> Although someone will need to confirm that you can run frescobaldi on this
> image.
>
> You can get Virtual Box from here:
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/
>
> I am no linux expert but had this up and running in less than an hour. I use
> 500mb of RAM for the Linux image and that is plenty with about 8GB for disk
> which is more than enough.
>
> I don't use frescobaldi, as I have no problems with using gedit or similar.
> I much prefer it.

Hi, newbie to Lilypond here (but not Linux)....

VirtualBox is an excellent choice for running a second VM, I think
it's better than dual-booting unless you need to do something for
performance reasons. I use VirtualBox for running Windows on my Linux
box every day on the occasion I need to use Windows for something.

I tried out Frescobaldi last night. I don't think it adds anything
that can't be done with, say, emacs in Lilypond mode. You can even
generate the PDF inside of emacs. Frescobaldi seems to provide some
'visual editing', but to the degree that NoteEdit or Rosegarden do.

-- Brett
"In the rhythm of music a secret is hidden;
    If I were to divulge it, it would overturn the world."
               -- Jelaleddin Rumi