Numeric note heads for singers

From: David Olson
Subject: Numeric note heads for singers
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 00:35:33 -0800

(1) question
(2) self-introduction

(1) Easy notation for singers

The easy notation feature is designed for instrumentalists:

< http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Note-heads#Easy-notation-note-heads>

i.e., it inscribes the letter value inside the notehead.

Is there a way to inscribe numbers instead of letters?

A cappella singers, learning how to sight-sing -- I need to teach them how to think in terms of "degrees of the scale".

(There isn't anyplace on our throats where we can put our fingers to make an "e" or an "a").

(2) Self introduction

I'm a Shape-Note singer, and I'm teaching about ten others how to sing, in order to create a group.

My webpage is here:

<http://www.hosorembo.com/>

You can see how I'm using LilyPond for teaching:

<http://www.hosorembo.com/Handout/los_angeles_sight_singing.html>

Where I'm having frustrations:

<http://www.hosorembo.com/Laura/Conqueror.html>

(e. g. Item No. 8. matching voices to notes)

Eventually, I want to have a tutorial to help other shape-note singers use LilyPond.

<http://www.hosorembo.com/Lily/Lilindex.html>
(just a dummy page for now)

My plan is to have about 12 templates & make comments on how they can be modified for shape note users. Right now, the $500 version of Finale is the recommended software for shape note notation.

I plan to take out-of-copyright examples from here:

<http://www.shapenote.net/berkley/HesperianHarp.htm>

LilyPond seems to have been designed for instrumentalists.

It would be useful to have a site/tutorial that focuses on four-part-harmony issues.

If someone has already done this, let me know.

Photo of me is here:

<http://www.meetup.com/Ballona-Fasola-Singers/>

TIA,

David Olson