Re: Strange page breaking issue in 2.13.10

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Strange page breaking issue in 2.13.10
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 11:57:34 -0500

Hi Reinhold,

> Unfortunately, after inserting this forced \pageBreak the scores (except the
> last), which before took only ~1.33 pages, suddently don't even fit on 2
> pages
> any more, but need 3 pages!

+1
I've noticed this kind of thing [a lot!] for a number of versions now — maybe
starting 2.13.7 or so? — but haven't had the time to make a minimal example.
Forced page breaks definitely wreak havoc, though the effect seems to be
minimized by changing the page-breaking mechansm (e.g., optimal- vs minimal-).

> Any ideas how I can get this score on 4 pages, with
> -) 1 Title page
> -) 2 pages for the next 4 scores
> -) 1 page for the final score

I ended up taking advantage of my layout functions:

pageBreaksForbid = { \override Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn
#'page-break-permission = ##f }
pageBreaksAllow = { \revert Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn #'page-break-permission
}
lineBreaksForbid = { \override Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn
#'line-break-permission = ##f }
lineBreaksAllow = { \revert Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn #'line-break-permission
}

It's a hassle to do this manually — especially on a 40+ page score — but it was
the only way to crank out the score in the required time.

Hope this helps!
Kieren.