need help with odd error - split voice being rejected

From: Tom Cloyd
Subject: need help with odd error - split voice being rejected
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 15:54:23 -0800

I'm suddenly getting an error I don't understand. I've compared my score with other, similar ones, and cannot see a problem. This score has been find for quite some, and now it won't compile. I really use a hint as to the nature of the problem. I've reduced it to minimal code sufficient to show the problem.

The score may be seen here:

Here's the error msg:

address@hidden:~/Music/Music_scores/Lilypond$ lilypond
GNU LilyPond 2.12.3
Processing `'
Parsing... error: syntax error, unexpected >>

>> error: syntax error, unexpected \score

\score { error: unknown escaped string: `\melody'
  \context Voice = "melody"
                            \melody error: syntax error, unexpected STRING
  \context Voice = "melody"
                            \melody error: unknown escaped string: `\cm'
   indent = 0.0
               \cm % remove indent on first staff
/usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/lilypond/current/ly/ error: syntax error, unexpected $end
   (ly:parser-error parser (_ "expected error, but none found"))))

error: failed files: ""

As you can see, it's rejecting the closing corner bracket. Makes no sense to me, and as of now my work on this score is halted. Would appreciate any help!!!

Tom Cloyd
Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A