Re: RE; Re nesting curves getting closer

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: RE; Re nesting curves getting closer
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 00:43:03 -0000

Gilles Sadowski wrote Saturday, January 23, 2010 11:39 PM

>>> Gilles asked for an attachment I don't exactly know what to >>> attach so
>>> I've attached the latest pdf output.
>>
>> What was wanted was the exact working code to get bad output, >> which you've
>> included in the body of the email.  Perfect!
>
> IMHO, perfect would be to *attach* a complete lilypond file, so > that people > trying to help don't have to copy/paste/fill the missing > bits/fiddle with
> long streaks of blank spaces, etc; but just save and compile.

Well, IMO, it's better to have a short file in the body of the email. Because that way I can look at it and identify errors without having to save
an attachment and then open it up in another application.

I don't *have* to save to attachment to just view it. I said that it's easier (if the purpose is to compile it) to just save it than to cut/copy
the relevant bits from the body of the mail.

I much prefer attachments too, as long as they are of
complete .ly files.  With 2 clicks the attachment opens
up in my favourite editor with LilyPond highlighting
applied.  It's then easier to spot mistakes and make
any corrections.  A single press on PF9 will compile it.

If the code is inline, long lines have very often been
wrapped, so I have to manually open my editor, cut and
paste the code, and fix any wrapped lines before I can
properly view or compile it.

I'm much more likely to investigate a problem with an
attached file for these reasons.

Trevor