Re: Lilypond vs Score

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Lilypond vs Score
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 18:08:38 -0600

I'll now post this to the entire list!

It's been a long time since I've used Score (late 90s), but one of the great things about the program was the precise control it allowed of all elements in a score.  For example, it allowed you to specify the exact horizontal and vertical positions of all objects -- notes, beams, etc. -- if you so chose.  It allowed me to create scores in proportional notation by placing the notes exactly where I chose.  Another nice feature -- if very specific! -- was the ability to space cross-staff beamed notes so that the stems, not the noteheads, were evenly spaced, which really improves the appearance of complex keyboard music.

I liked the program a lot because it seemed to take nothing for granted.  Unlike other programs, you did not have to trick it to do anything unconventional.

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 03:57:49PM -0600, Bobber wrote:
> I have been having a discussion with a small publisher who uses the
> music manuscript program called Score.  He says that neither Lilypond or
> Finale can produce engraving that is comparable to Score.  And that most
> of the major music publishers in the world use Score.

Score can do stuff like having the staves in a spiral.  Think of
George Crumb -- if he used any computer engraver, it would be
score.  Score is also not free: it's not open source, and IIRC it
costs $500 or more.

I only saw it briefly a few years ago.  I think our fonts are
better, but score could clearly do more wacky things.  I believe
our input format is much easier, though.

I can't speak to what major music publishers use.

Cheers,
- Graham