Re: Printing entire score on 1 line

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Printing entire score on 1 line
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 06:32:52 -0700

On 2/2/10 6:15 AM, "pat eyler" <address@hidden> wrote:

> My wife is a new lilypond user (and not super computer literate).
> She's trying to typeset a score generated by denemo (see below),
> but the output is all squeezed onto a single line which overflows
> the right side of the page.
>
> I've looked over the lilypond doc output by denemo, and can't see
> anything obvious.  We're running lilypond  2.12.2 on Ubuntue 9.10.

The problem is your first line -- r8. e'2 is not a full measure.  LilyPond
only breaks lines at the end of a measure.

If you remove all of the % signs before the | characters, LilyPond will do
measure checks and will give warnings that the bar check failed, which will
make it easier to figure this kind of problem out.

I'm not sure how you got the rhythmic errors in dynamo, but there are
multiple rhythmic errors.  I've highlighted a couple of them below.

> % The music follows
>
> MvmntIVoiceI =  {

This measure only has 2 3/4 beats (in 4/4 time)
>           r8. e'2%|
This measure has 5 beats.
>          a'4 a' a' ~ a' a'%|
>          c'' c''2 a'4%|
>          b' a' a' f'%|
> %5
>          e'2. e'4%|
>          a' a' a' c''%|
>          c'' c'' c'' b'%|
>          b' b' b' c''%|
>          b'2. f'4%|
> %10
>          a' a' a' b'%|
>          c'' c''2 a'4%|
>          b' a' a'8 a' a'4%|
>          a'2. r4%|
This measure has 6 beats (it's actually two measures -- lilypond will handle
it, but it means the measure counts in the comments (%15) are off.
>          \time 3/4 r4. e'8( e') e' e'4. a'8 e'4%|
> %15

>From her on, I lose it.  The measures are not related to the lines, and the
bar checks aren't used, so I don't really know what's intended.
>          e'8 b'2( b'8) f'4. e'8 d'2. e'8 a'4. e'4 a'4.%|
>          b' b'8 b'4%|

I don't use Denemo, so I don't know how these errors came to be.  But I can
see why LilyPond put all your music on one line.

HTH,

Carl