Re: Merging rests with two voices on one staff

From: Michael J. O'Donnell
Subject: Re: Merging rests with two voices on one staff
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 14:24:16 -0600

Mats,

Thanks for the pointer. Somehow, I think of better search terms when I
know there's something to find.

The discussion that I found shows how to merge full- and multi-measure
rests explicitly, when the corresponding rests have been identified
(this seems to be essentially the same idea shown in the manual section
on "Full Measure Rests," under "Positioning multi-measure rests"). I was
surprised to find that they can be overlaid, since LilyPond is usually
so satisfyingly finicky about collisions. Most of the labor goes into
finding the particular rests to merge. This changes as I set more or
fewer voices on a single line (most of the variation is between one and
two voices, so the two-voice merge already has a lot of value).

The snippet for combining normal rests resets the positioning-done
procedure in the RestCollision objects. There appears to be no
corresponding type of collision object for full- and multi-measure
rests, which is presumably why the snippet author didn't handle them.
There's probably a way to use the stencil procedure in the
MultiMeasureRest objects, but I'll need to figure out how to navigate
from a given multiRest to other objects at the same time in the staff.

In principle, one would like to unify the treatment of rests with the
treatment of notes in polyphony, but that's a big hacking/recompiling
item, not an add-on.

Cheers,

Mike O'D.