Re: dynamic and midi velocity

From: David Santamauro
Subject: Re: dynamic and midi velocity
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 16:38:06 -0500

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 09:54:06 +1100
address@hidden wrote:

> Bertalan> When you see p in the score, you play with less force on the
> Bertalan> keys, with lower velocity.  When you see ff in the score,
> Bertalan> you play with much force on the keys, with high velocity.
>
> That depends on the keyboard.  On the organ I've sometimes played, how
> hard you press the notes does asolutely nothing; to control volume you
> use the swell pedal (and it works only on some stops).  There's also
> several milliseconds delay between playing a note and hearing it,
> which is `interesting' to say the least.
>
> I thnk the MIDI designers were mostly thinking about pianos when they
> designed the protocols; CC11 for expression feels like an
> afterthought.

Maybe so, but expression (cc11) is essential in expressing (no pun
intended) dynamic variations from one note to the next in the context
of an overall (cc7) volume. Obviously velocity differences between notes
can also represent changes in dynamics but sustained (de)crescendos need
continuous controllers.

David